My work, thoughts, process; my melancholy objects, my lists, my navigation, my environment.
My self-portrait.


Contact: jocelyn@freeup.us



*

Monday, July 5, 2010

Come check out the show


I joined the studio because I found myself becoming a shut-in; only leaving the apartment to buy alcohol and food....mostly alcohol. I moved to Oakland to immerse myself in the art culture of the Bay Area yet found myself immersed in my own work, rarely venturing out to explore the work of others. When the Compound expanded I took the opportunity to join a group of young, savvy, educated artists primarily to get out of my head but also to get into the art world. I love the studios, gallery space, fellow artists and especially Matt and Lena who work non-stop to develop their/our space where we can work, meet, talk, eat, drink....and play beanbag toss. My space at the Compound has become more of a display space, where I can hang my work, since when I finish a piece I want it to go away, but not too far, so I can tweak and live with it to learn its flaws and find out where it/I need to go next with it. The factory is still in-home where I can work whenever and in whatever I please but the Compound is the best place for hanging (semi-private) to receive an educated critique, feedback and direction as well as a cool vibe to work in.

No comments:

Post a Comment